Friday, August 14, 2015

On Faking It






It happens more than I'd like to admit: the alarm goes off in the morning and I have no plan at all. No outfits picked out, no lunches made, no gym bags packed, no breakfast prepared. On those days, we usually also have piles of laundry in the bedroom, piles of dishes in the sink, and piles of junk all over the rest of the house. My first line of attack on days like these is to hit the snooze button and see if the morning goes away. When that fails, my husband is there with a plan of his own. His plan is called "faking it."

Once we have decided we're faking it, I can stop beating myself up for falling short of domestic and sartorial perfection. I can put my hair in a bun, eat a handful of nuts for breakfast, wear jeans to work, and buy lunch once I'm there. (As my wonderful husband regularly reminds me, money can be exchanged for goods and services.) I wouldn't want to fake it every day, but every once in a while it can save my sanity and turn a horrible day into something pretty good. Especially when I manage to scrounge up an outfit that doesn't look half bad. A striped drapey cardigan helps: looks like effort, feels like a bathrobe!

cardigan: boutique in Stellenbosch, SA [similar, similar on sale]  | tank: Old Navy [exact] | jeans: Gap | belt: Old Navy | bag: Francesca's | sandals: Franco Sarto


Woah, you can see how dinged up my bag is in this close-up... as I said, we're faking it...



3 comments:

  1. You're faking it pretty well! Or maybe the fun green clutch is just making you look more pulled together than you really are. :)

    ~Sarah of Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's all the stripes going around the blogosphere, but this outfit doesn't look faked at all. I'm loving the green and stripes with jeans combo.

    As for the dinged up purse, maybe you could grab some gold fabric paint and add some details to strategically cover the dings? A band of gold along the seamed end that folds over and a couple triangles at the corners?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete