Friday, August 28, 2015

Better Basics



One of the surprising things I've found about doing this insane thing of taking photos of myself and posting them on the internet is that I've had to look some of my style choices and realize that how I actually looked wasn't the same as what I imagined in my head. A simple black and white basics look from last week is a good example of this. It wasn't disastrous, but I certainly didn't look my best. The biggest issue was a pair of black cropped pants that were a little too tight, a little too short, and no longer quite as black as they used to be. I'd been wearing them  regularly and pretending they were OK, but seeing photos of them up on the screen made me realize it was time for them to go. They're now sitting atop my donate pile waiting for my next trip to Goodwill.

This black and white outfit is so much better. It's a little less basic -- stripes instead of solid white on top, and the addition of a teal statement necklace -- but what really makes it better are the pants. These are the Dannie Pant from J.Crew, which is sold out in almost every size now but which I hope they will bring back this fall or winter. They fit so much better, the longer length is  much more flattering than the old ones, and they're actually black. Plus, they have a cool zipper detail in the back which, though I didn't get a photo, has gotten me more compliments than I'd like to admit (because they mean that the complimenters were definitely looking at my behind). Which is all to say, one of the lessons I'm learning from blogging is, it's all about the basics.

pants: J.Crew [yeah, pretty much totally sold out] | sweater: LOFT | necklace: Fossil [thrifted] | shoes: Banana Republic

 Oh, and the shoes have sweet zipper details too. Aren't they great! Also, are everyone's feet so veiny?

No comments:

Post a Comment