Friday, August 28, 2015

August Budget: A Success?

Last month I embarked on this crazy mission to shop with a plan and try to stay within a budget. And it seems like it's working. This month, I only bought a few things and stayed well below my target of $150. I had hoped to go to a boutique that I love while I was on vacation earlier this month, but even though I walked passed it about five times on my way to get donuts, or hamburgers, or ice cream, I never actually made it inside. While this was kind of a bummer, it totally saved my budget. Instead, I wound up with these three items, all of which were pretty good buys.


LOFT Chevron Circle Skirt $25 | Gap Factory Drapey Marled Tank $22 | Aeresoles Magician Sandal $20

August + Rollover from July: $150 + $136 = $286
Total Spent: $67
Rollover Amount: $219

Having a budget, and knowing I planned to post about it on The Internet, made me a much more cautious shopper this month. Also, a big closet cleanout that is still in progress (and waiting to be documented) helped me keep my closet priorities straight. As I waded through the ubiquitous end-of-the-season clearance racks, I kept asking myself, "Is this worth spending even 10% of my budget on? Will it make it harder to afford something I really want? Am I just going to toss it in a year or two?" Most of the time, I decided to pass.

So what did I buy, and why? I bought the skirt partly because I want to copy this outfit but mostly because it's simultaneously comfortable and flattering. It's worked out well so far as I've worn it a half dozen times. The tank has gotten slightly less play, but I couldn't resist it's thick texture and wonderful drape. And the shoes.... they're not my favorite pair (no, my favorite pair are yellow patent leather pumps!) because they're a bit chunky for my taste, but I bought them to compliment the dress I'm wearing to a wedding this weekend and they were twenty bucks!

This leaves me with a nice roll-over amount for September. I'm hoping to take the plunge and buy a black tote bag for work -- I'm thinking hard about this one. I've got some other stuff on my shopping list, too...

Linking up with Franish & her merry band of budgeting bloggers!


4 comments:

  1. Love the striped skirt! I'm impressed you managed to get it for $25.

    Looking at everyone's finds this month I'm beginning to wonder where I was during all of this, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally got lucky on the skirt -- I think it sold out fast and they only had a few sizes left so they marked it down... luckily, my store had my size!

      Delete
  2. I've been wearing it nonstop... I have an outfit post with it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete