Monday, August 31, 2015

Black & Blue




I have spent much of my life afraid of "clashing." There is some merit to this fear, but for the most part it was misguided and has been far more paralyzing than enabling. One of my biggest taboos has been combining navy and black. This ban even encompassed wearing black leather shoes with navy clothing until I read a few years back that black shoes were the classic -- the standard -- with navy. This opened up a whole new world for me and helped me bring more navy into my closet, which I've loved. Then, last year I saw a ton of items that were both black and navy and they totally blew my mind. I realized that black and navy looked fantastic together. The similarity between the colors adds depth to outfits, plus the combination of classic navy and edgy black was incredibly appealing to the "look" I try to go for (what I call "classic with a tweedy edge"). One of my favorite purchases from the black and blue items I saw in stores last winter was this blouse. It's a great conservative navy blouse to wear under a suit, but the best part is the black leather and zipper detail in the back: A perfect mix of class and edge.

blouse: Ann Taylor | skirt: Ann Taylor Factory | belt: Gap | shoes: Nine West [exact -- my favorite classic black pump, I buy two when there's a buy-one-get-one sale]

No comments:

Post a Comment