Friday, September 11, 2015

Glam

This semester, I'm teaching film for the first time. I've studied film and written about film and incorporated film into my other courses, but now it's the real deal: the intro class for film majors. I'm sad to admit that when I embarked upon this process, I spent relatively little brain power bulking up on discontinuity editing and the Hollywood star system and auteur cinema compared to the mental space I devoted to the questions "Am I stylish enough to teach film?" and "What does a film teacher wear?" Despite all evidence to the contrary, I am under the impression that the kinds of people who teach film wear sleek all-black outfits and have edgy asymmetrical haircuts. Why I think I need to look like Rooney Mara in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to be a credible teacher of Casablanca is unclear to me, but there you have it.

This is what I in fact wore to teach Casablanca. Neither edgy nor artsy. But it does have what I consider to be relatively subtle touches of Hollywood glam in the red blouse and leopard-print pumps. Red and leopard are super glam, right? In retrospect, I could have added even more glam -- maybe a gold necklace or sparkly earrings -- without the outfit turning costumey.

The lessons I learned in film class today? Film teachers need not look edgy, or wear black, or have asymmetrical haircuts. A touch of old time glamour works just fine. And perhaps they should know something about film.

blouse: LOFT (this seasons colors -- I can't decide if I love the "ominous teal" or "maize gold" better!) | jeans: Gap | belt: American Eagle | shoes: Franco Sarto | bag: J.Crew Factory | bangles: J.Crew Factory

No comments:

Post a Comment