Saturday, September 12, 2015

Which Watch is Which?

I need a watch. Pretty much immediately. I've never really worn a watch because I thought they cramped my style. They can be uncomfortable, especially if you spend most of your day typing on a keyboard or washing dishes (I swear, my next apartment WILL have a dishwasher!). And since they're kind of uncomfortable, I tend to take them off and lose them. 

In the past few years, though, I've wanted to start wearing a watch. It's so much classier to peak at your watch during a meeting than to take out your phone and risk looking like you've got better things to do. Plus watches seem "adult," and I am a thirty-something lady with a husband and a doctorate. 

Now I need one. The classroom I teach in twice a week doesn't have a clock. I can't use my phone to keep time since I've given more than one lecture about putting away all devices -- including phones -- during our discussion-based class. So now I need one. Stat.

But which watch should I buy? Watches, like bags and shoes, always get me in a tizzy. I know that I should buy something high-quality and classic that goes with everything. I start thinking about whether I need something with gold hardware or silver. Then I wonder if I should have a black leather strap or a brown one. Now, all of the sudden, I need four watches instead of one. I plan to wear it on my left hand... does it have to match my wedding ring? What about long sleeves... will it get caught in my cuffs? I could just throw in the towel, not get a watch, and figure out how I can "feel" the length of a seventy-five minute class "in my bones." Yeah, that's not going to work. I need a watch.

How do you choose a watch? What do you look for? What do you avoid? Right now, my only requirements are that it's easily legible (so watches with all, or at least most, of the numbers and a large face) and that it doesn't break the bank (I have Kate Spade tastes and a Timex budget -- someday, though, I'll get me a fox watch! or two!). Here are some of the watches I'm considering. Seriously, I'd love your comments. I need some help.


No comments:

Post a Comment