Saturday, January 30, 2016

January Budget: Baby, It's Cold Outside

I made my only two January purchases on the Monday of my first full week back to work after the holidays. It was an unbelievably cold day and as I laid in bed, dreading leaving the warmth of my flannel sheets and down comforter, I resolved to buy a few more warm things to help me make it through the month. Once I got to work, I ordered a cashmere sweater from Nordstrom and a pair of fleece tights from Amazon.


sweater | $49 | I was nervous about the sweater because I was looking for something with a standard bottom (how do you say that? you know, regular ribbed sweater bottoms?) and is a tunic style that goes to mid-hip and has slits in the side. However, it's super soft and the right price ($49 after price adjustment that Nordstrom made completely easy and painless -- I just chatted with a customer service rep, gave her my order number, and she credited my card the $20 I paid over the sale price) and I've enjoyed wearing it both as a tunic and tucked in. It's pilling a bit under the armpits after three wears, but it was a cashmere sweater that cost less than fifty bucks, so I was kind of expecting that. Overall, I'm very happy with it and I'm considering getting a sweater shaver or pumice or something to deal with the piling on this and on my black cashmere v-neck.

tights | $35 | These tights, not so happy with. I searched for "best fleece lined tights" and a number of pieces I found referred to Plush as the gold-standard. However, they're not really that soft, they sort of bunch up around the feet, and they don't keep me much warmer than my regular non-fleece tights. I probably should have sized up as I often do with tights (I think it makes them more comfortable since my thighs are not insignificant). They weren't worth the $35 I paid for them, but you can't really send back tights after you've worn them. Oh well.

January Budget: $150 - $49 - $35 = $66 to roll over to next month

I was well under budget this month because there were only two things that I really needed and wanted. Even though I only really liked one of my two purchases, I did my best to shop slowly and with care. Small steps!

linking up with Franish -- thanks for getting me to budget!

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad about the tights. I find my biggest problem with the thicker ones is that the waistband tries to creep down throughout the day. My thighs aren't exactly tiny either, but I would have thought being short would have helped alleviate the issue :(

    Hopefully that pilling settles down soon on the sweater, I love the shape and colour of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I figured that I shouldn't size up in the tights since I'm only 5'2", but I was totally wrong on that one... should have stuck to my usual sizing-up trick!

    Also, I've totally been lurking as you've blogged your pregnancy recently -- congratulations!

    ReplyDelete