Friday, September 4, 2015

Whatever Works




The first two weeks of the semester are always a disaster an adventure, and adding a family wedding on the west coast in between them does not -- spoiler alert -- make them any easier. But I have survived, nay thrived, and lived to tell the tale. I'm now sitting on my front porch, drinking a glass of wine, and basking in my glory. Or perhaps just basking in the humidity. I'll take what I can get.

Knowing that these few weeks were going to be mayhem, I made sure to take outfit photos every day before the semester started. I knew this would make it easier to maintain a semi-regular blog presence. I had no idea it would also help me get dressed every morning, but it did. When I woke up on Monday morning with a brain full of jet-lag and student meetings and syllabuses and no room for fashion, I simply copied one of the outfits I'd photographed a few weeks ago. On Tuesday, when the jet lag hadn't dissipated, I did the same. By Thursday, when I could no longer blame my foggy brain on jet lag, I'd run out of outfits for this week, so I reached further back to the archive and wore this beauty from early in August. It's like a "pin to present" or "make it work Monday" but so much easier because (1) I already have all the stuff and (2) I know how it "works" on me. (Don't worry, Erin, I'll actually copy someone other than myself for the next Make it Work Monday!)

I was delighted to wear this outfit not once but twice in the past few weeks. (I rarely see the same people day in and day out -- I mean, the freshman I teach just showed up two weeks ago!!!) My favorite part of the ensemble is that the two statement pieces, the necklace and the skirt, both came from Target and have held up incredibly well despite being purchased years ago and match each other perfectly and do so through two colors that I love, yellow and green. I felt like a pattern-and-color-and-bling matching ninja. Not really, but maybe someday!

necklace: Target [old] | skirt: Target [even older, not dissimilar] | tank: LOFT | cardigan: Target [this year's colors] | shoes: Banana Republic [exact -- limited sizes now, but I'm sure they'll restock soon!] | bag: J.Crew factory


No comments:

Post a Comment